The Gritter Max Story
GRITTER MAX™ started out on a napkin by some hands-on guys from the Juneau County Highway Department. At the end of a couple of months of cutting, welding, and experimenting they came up with a machine that met all of the items on their "wouldn't it be nice if" list.
- A pre-wet product that was completely blended to create better road adhesion with minimal bounce-off and scattering by traffic.
- A way to reduce waste of brine/salt components due to inadequate mixing.
- A reliable hopper and auger system that would be durable and capable of starting up even if under full load.
- A system that would reduce downtime while in the yard waiting for mixing/remixing and the end loader fill.
- Eliminate need for on-truck spray equipment its costs of repair and maintenance.
- A safe piece of equipment to work around with minimal exposed moving parts that could be operated with remote control technology.
- Reduce the potential impact on groundwater by more efficient application and while lowering the demand for salt.
From Highway Commissioner Dennis Weiss
"Before we started using our Gritter Max pre-wet system, much of the salt we put down would bounce off the icy roads and end up in the ditches along the road. We pre-wet adding salt brine/beet juice, just as several municipalities in southern Wisconsin and northern Illinois do. We prefer beet juice because it is less corrosive on our trucks and equipment than straight calcium chloride brine. In addition to saving on road salt volume required, we are expecting a down-the-road benefit of having our equipment last longer."